floridagatorgirl

23 year old girl scientist, happily married to a man in uniform. In my 2nd year of my PhD, new home owner, and owner of 1 dog and 2 cats.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

My half-ass attempt...

at exercising today wasn't as successful as I originally planned. Since silly freshman girls filled up my Cardio Kickboxing class (they're the ones who unfailingly quit ~3 weeks into the semester, filling up spaces for late-inclined graduate students such as myself), I decided to go running. With my new Dell Mini DJ and Murphy the Wild Dog. I switched on my specialized workout playlist (starting with my classic favorite, Daniel Bettingfield's Gotta Get Through This), wrapped the leash around my hand and opened the door.

*ZOOM*

goes my dog, who is attached to my hand. I stumbled out my front door and earphones flew out of my ears, swinging around my body as I struggled to stay upright and keep my dog from charging down the street after nasty stray cat who poops in my yard daily. This was the cycle of our 1 mile run: me run, him pee on various lawns and mailboxes while I try to tug him away, earphones constantly fell out of my ears (they SUCK!) and I nearly strained my back & sustained massive callousing to hands from leash.

When I got back to my house, there were 3 teenage boys playing football in my yard & neighbors yard. I pretended like Murphy was an attack dog when he tried to jump on them (hopefully they didn't notice his tail wagging in sheer delight at the sight of a ball being thrown in his yard). I yelled, "No, Dog, No!" in a really mean voice then apologetically said, "I'm sorry, you might want to back up, he's bitten before. He doesn't really like men." Smiled & let myself into my house.

Hey, I live 2 blocks from the ghetto area. The cars on my block were spray painted with phallic symbols 2 Halloween's ago (found this out AFTER we closed on our home.) One can't be too careful.

Not sweaty enough, I raked our yard (Fritz was pleasantly shocked) and ran back and forth through my house with laundry and piles that belonged in other rooms. That counts as exercise, right? 1 mile + 30 minutes yard raking + running in house + kickboxing kicks + squats while on phone with great grandmother (who reminded me that soccer is good for helping me "to keep the weight off," Thanks GG).

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home