floridagatorgirl

23 year old girl scientist, happily married to a man in uniform. In my 2nd year of my PhD, new home owner, and owner of 1 dog and 2 cats.

Monday, January 17, 2005

getting out there

It's been a whirlwind weekend. Friday night started off with a potluck Italian dinner welcoming the other vet students from around the Southeast. I made two huge pans of vegetarian ziti (pureed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onion and peppers in my awesome food processer) and two huge loaves of garlic bread. It all turned out really well. We ate & all talked, then listened to the guest speaker and watched a slideshow of the past mission trips some of these groups have been on.

It was incredible. The people there have traveled to Ethiopia, Tanzinia, Nigeria, South Africa, Bolivia, Honduras, Haiti, Costa Rica, the Amazon, all over the world, just donating their services to these third world countries, vaccinating their animals and making sure they have safe food to eat. They neuter the feral cats, test the cows for tuberculosis (they don't test in these places, which is a reason why quality of life is so low), build shelters and clinics and do ministry. Some of the pictures brought tears to my eyes. It makes me feel silly & little for the things we obsess about in America, when we have it so easy. I'm tired of the petty conversations and hours I spend going around and around the same things when I really could be making a more solid contribution to this world. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here in college-town-craphole a few more years while I finish this PhD. Sigh.

The date is set for Honduras: May 22-June 5th. Some days for travel are included in there. I'm a little scared of the rural areas and primitive conditions, but I'm absolutely delighted to be getting out there. It's also giving me great motivation to work out: I want to be in pristine condition for trekking around these mountainous towns with no AC anywhere. This will be good for me, as I have a tendency to be a prissy girl sometimes. It will be a rewarding experience, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:15 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Exciting blog. Your site was amazing and will be
    back again! I never get tired of looking for blogs
    just like this one.
    Click on my bad celebrity plastic surgery blog before its to late.

     
  • At 5:27 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
    back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
    exactly like this blog.
    In my spare time I will look for your good plastic surgery blog.

     
  • At 6:30 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said…

    Creative blog.  I thought it was the best site out
    and we had to go back to it! Every chance I get on the
    net I search for blogs just like your site.
    My blog, is something you need to peep out!

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Wy Wyoming House Cleaning said…

    Creative blog. I just kept looking at it over and
    over! Im always looking for blogs like this!
    Search for my or oregon house cleaning blog, it will leave you speechless.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home