floridagatorgirl

23 year old girl scientist, happily married to a man in uniform. In my 2nd year of my PhD, new home owner, and owner of 1 dog and 2 cats.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Wednesday recap

Met my mom and little sis at TJ Maxx for an hour of shopping after crazy, busy workday. They came up to Gainesville again yesterday so my sister could go to the doctor. She's been having a lot of headaches and her doctor thinks it's migraines. We sat outside TJ Maxx while my mom was checking out, and we chatted. She asked if I was excited to be going up north for Christmas. I told her I was kind of excited, but it was really sad to be away from my family. I told her how I cried after Fritz bought the tickets. "Me too!" she exclaimed. "Mom told me not to tell you because it would make you more upset. I just started thinking about how you always spend the night, and we stay up late talking, and then in the morning we sneak out in the living room to check out our presents and stockings, then I have hot chocolate and you have coffee." It just makes me so sad to even think about it even now. I know, I'm a "grown-up" now, and married, and we have to create out own traditions, but I'm going to have to be very careful not to be resentful of my husband for this Christmas. A very wise married friend advised me of that :)

Went to Publix to pick up steaks. How is it that every time I go to the grocery store, I can never spend less than $50? No matter what my intent is, I remember I need milk, foil, ziploc bags, apples, ooh and those artichokes look wonderful!

Then Fritz and I cooked a wonderful meal together. Steak on the grill, sauteed mushrooms and onions, fresh asparagus, mashed potatoes, and caesar salad. Oh, and a lot of wine. Let's not forget the wine. Riesling... sweet, light, perfect. I know you're supposed to drink red wine with red meat, but I'm not one to conform. We watched the last two episodes of Lost on TIVO (is that the best show EVER or what? I can't wait for a new episode!) We tried to watch 12 Days of Christmas, but he was bored and went and played poker in the office. I finished it because I am admittedly a sucker for all Christmas themed movies, as cheesy and completely predictable they all are. I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting a funny performance from Molly Shannon. She has a minimal (but constant) role in this movie, with only basic dialogue. And such prime lines as, "You'll figure out the meaning of Christmas. Don't worry!" and "Hey, John... don't ever give up. Merry Christmas!" etc. But it wasn't horrible for a late night, 2-glass of wine, still mentally brain dead evening.

Hopefully internet at work will be fixed and finally working today, so I can finish work and start on the Christmas newsletter I want to put in my Christmas cards (which I haven't even started yet, slacker.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home