floridagatorgirl

23 year old girl scientist, happily married to a man in uniform. In my 2nd year of my PhD, new home owner, and owner of 1 dog and 2 cats.

Monday, November 29, 2004

Weekend review

Brrr... woke up to 45 degree weather. I can remember Christmas's in Florida where my family was all wearing tanks and flip flops. It kind of takes away from the Christmas spirit when you're dressed for the beach.

Fritz is from the North, so he really misses the changing seasons. I, on the other hand, am absolutely miserable and freezing cold when the temp. drops below 50. So this cooler weather has been perfect for getting us in the holiday spirit. After laying the grout on the tile last night, we went to Home Depot and picked an 8-9 foot Christmas tree. It was $70, but I complained about a big dead spot on it and the clerk charged me $35. Nothing like a little bargaining. We brought it home and Ryan came back from the mountains to pick up his dogs, so he helped to set it up and decorate. He had a cough, so I gave him cough medicine, and gave him the job of unwrapping all the Christmas lights for the tree. We listened to Christmas music and felt like a nice little family.

Our tile job turned out beautifully, and it makes me happier than anyone could imagine. I can't believe we did it all ourselves! F is a handyman, but I'm the type to go shopping in lieu of working around the house. So this morning, when I walked into our bright, spacious, tiled kitchen, I wanted to drop to the floor and kiss it. Of course, I didn't, because there's still grout haze and it smells kind of funny. We did break our gas stove while moving it, and now our kitchen reeks of gas. We've opened all the windows and they're coming Wednesday to replace it with a new stove. Let's just hope my house doesn't explode in the meantime.

This is going to be a stressful week... I have my presentation on apoptosis on Thursday, then my Signal Transduction final next Tuesday, and I'm already freaking out about it. This is one class I am seriously worried about now making the grade in. Well, if I flunk out of grad school, at least I have a lovely tile floor to come home and cry on...

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home