floridagatorgirl

23 year old girl scientist, happily married to a man in uniform. In my 2nd year of my PhD, new home owner, and owner of 1 dog and 2 cats.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

I am a sick, sick girl.

Besides seriously straying from my diet, being in a bad mood sometimes inspires me to practice other detrimental activities.Like searching for my possible diseases on the medical pipeline, a.k.a Pub Med. Since my asthma is bothering me today, and I just finished reading an inspirational journal on apoptosis (cell directed "suicide") in human fetal lungs, I typed in the key words: asthma, cancer, death.

Instead of asthma, I found the following journal article titles and could be experiencing conditions of upcoming death:

  • A subglottic mass mimicking near-fatal asthma: a challenge of diagnosis
  • Mediastinal tumour in children misdiagnosed as bronchial asthma
  • Chondroma [tumor] simulating bronchial asthma
  • Wrong diagnosis of "bronchial asthma" in a case of mediastinal tumor in childhood
  • Prior lung disease and risk of lung cancer in a large prospective study.
  • Two cases of lung cancer in the third decade of life (this one was particularly inspiring: it says, "One patient was a 27-year-old man complaining of persistent cough and chest pain. Although he was treated with cisplatin-based chemotherapy and gefitinib, he died of lung cancer. In some cases, young adults with lung cancer have been misdiagnosed as having bronchial asthma or pulmonary tuberculosis."


This reminds me why I dropped my med school applications... I knew I would subsequently believe I had every disease we studied. Skin rash? Eek, flesh-eating disease! Headache? Metastasized brain tumor! Leg cramp? Vascular degenerative disorder.

This is a really sad, sick day for me. I better stop and go eat some chocolate.


2 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Greetings from London! As I set at home today suffering from a horrible sore throat, I was browsing other blogs for a deserpate gleam of laughter. Yours did just that! Not that often laugh at other's pain, however, the things you write are the things I don't have the guts to write in fear that someone may realise that in my mind, so many negative ideas overtake my brain. I admire you. I admire that you aren't afriad to admit that life is, quite frankly, shitty at times and it effects us to no end. Chin up buttercup. I bet that because of you, peoples lives are enriched greatly. Besides, you did make this north londener laugh today! Good luck to you!! if we lived on the same continent, I would elect you as my new gym buddy! I need one! Take care!
    Amanda aka GuitarAngel1979

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Wi Wisconsin House Cleaning said…

    Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
    site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
    finding blogs as good as your site.
    Stop by and visiit my or oregon house cleaning blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home